Grand lady on the Strand
You will be delighted to have this rare opportunity to access the two front rooms of one of Williamstown’s most renowned treasures.
This single storey reinforced concrete house has an unusual elevated, stuccoed concrete verandah, which is supported by Egyptian papyrus-capital round columns.
The property retains its original front fence.
Prominent Williamstown builder, John Garnsworthy, commissioned this initially seven room concrete house in 1907. The villa was designed by him and erected under his supervision. The foundations were expensive, apparently in a bid to defeat the uncertain footings which had caused severe cracking in most of Williamstown's major masonry buildings.
The Strand had become established as a premier residential address in Williamstown by the late nineteenth century. It demonstrates the prosperity of Williamstown during the mid to late nineteenth century and, like the Esplanade, also illustrates the strong connection between the early residential development of Williamstown and maritime industries and pursuits.
Aesthetically, while later, inappropriate development disrupts the complete expression of The Strand as a whole, the remaining small groups of often-substantial villas are significant for evoking the historic character that was once typical of the majority of this seaside boulevard.
Source – Victorian Heritage Society