WILLIAMSTOWN TOWN HALL
The Williamstown Town Hall was constructed for the Williamstown City Council in two stages 1918 -1919 – front offices section (also referred to as the Municipal Chambers in press of the day) and 1926 -1927, the detached rear town hall, supper room and facilities.
June 5th 1918 - Foundation stone of the new Municipal offices laid by Cr.C.Knowles, Mayor in 1917 – 1918, on the Ferguson Street façade.
May 1919 - State Governor Sir Arthur L. Stanley – proclaimed Williamstown a City and at the same time performed official opening of the municipal offices, and unveiled “the collective photograph of local sailors and soldiers killed during the war” Williamstown Chronicle Saturday 24 May 1919
By 1924 Councillor Henderson had collected a further 25 photographs of local men killed in the war. To display the 265 photographs, the Council contracted the well-known Melbourne firm H Goldman Manufacturing Co. to build a blackwood cabinet with doors designed to keep out the light.
Today the honour board hangs in the Town Hall Ballroom foyer and is considered one of the most important fittings in the building.
The front building itself is significant as representative of conservative classical design and is one of, if not the largest 1910 municipal offices buildings in Victoria.
1926 -1927 - Town Hall and Supper Rooms constructed at a cost of thirty five thousand pounds at rear of the Municipal offices. Town Hall – Architects Gibbs, Finlay and Morsby, then Gibbs, Finlay, Morsby and Coates in 1927 and Moresby and Coates from 1928
May 18 1927 - Town Hall opened by the Mayor – Councillor J.J. Liston
Today the building is considered a fine example of Greek Revival architectural style and one of the finest and largest interwar period town halls in Victoria.